Dream on....

Last year I took Aerosmith's Dream On, as my theme song and wish for 2008. Who would have thought that when I first cranked up that song 35 years ago that it would continue to inspire me on the eve of 2009. But it does. And here is the reason: "Dream on...dream until your dream comes true."







2008 has had its share of ups and downs. Foreclosures, government bailouts, assorted natural disasters, death and stock market crashes contributed to the downs. The election of Barack Obama, the discovery of art bloggers and musicians on MySpace, and the continued love and support of family and friends count as the ups. I realize that the downs were not specific to me but to the world at large. The ups contain my personal favorites.
This holiday season has been quiet for me, because I was ill for half of my winter break. The silver lining in that is that I was able to read, knit, and reflect more than I normally would. I'm in the middle of reading Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat That Touched the World. Doesn't it sound like a children's story? It is an inspiring book, though, because it shows what a difference one individual (in this case, one cat) can make in the lives of millions of people. It's the ripple effect that you hear about so often that is proven in this book.
Maybe we should be asking ourselves, "what would Dewey do?" in 2009. It starts with a dream.

Comments

Debra Snider said…
It's nice to meet you, Mary! Your comment on Ari Herzog's post touched me, so I decided to visit your blog. I understand the pull of Michigan - I went to college at the U of M in Ann Arbor and loved it. Raised my kids to be Mich fans, too, and my son graduated from there in 2007. I'm also a fan of language and literature, and I think your use of the word "dilettante" is perfect. :)

Debra
Debra Snider said…
And thank you, Mary, for visiting my blog and letting me know that you're planning to read A MERGER OF EQUALS. I'm thrilled!
Debra Snider said…
I love the story of your husband grabbing life joyously with both hands, at the Grand Canyon and, I'm sure, everywhere else. I'm very sorry he's not still with us, but what a lot of wonderful memories you must have.

If you like travel and scenery pictures, you might want to look at the posts on my blog under the label "Oh Beautiful for Spacious Skies." I posted lots of pix & commentary from our road trip last summer through Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming & Montana on our way to Wisconsin.

Thanks again for buying my book. I hope you'll let me know how you're enjoying it as you read. Please do stay in touch.

Popular posts from this blog

One World One Heart

A Thanksgiving Giveaway