Finally -- A Finished Object

A lot of thoughts have been swirling about in my mind for several weeks now, but nothing has felt urgent enough to share with the world.

Knitting has been on the backburner for awhile, however, a few weeks ago I completed a prayer shawl I made for my cousin Nancy. She's starting her last round of chemo next week, and hopefully it's the magic cocktail that will boot lung cancer out of her life for good.

I love the idea of prayer shawls, but I have a hard time with the execution. It's not totally mindless knitting, but my mind tends to wander when I'm following such a simple pattern. I realize that each stitch is infused with prayer and meaning. Unlike some of my other dilettantish behavior, it was important for me to finish the shawl and send it to her. I really wanted the warmth and love to envelope her.

When I started it over the Christmas break (yes, it was that long ago), I chose the Wildflowers colorway of KnitPicks' Suri Dream. Hope, Spring, New Life! I felt like I was thumbing my nose at cancer and the snowdrifts that blanketed Michigan.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One World One Heart

A Thanksgiving Giveaway